Information we will need from you

If we assist you with a name change, we will ask you to provide the following information:

  1. Your current legal name.
  2. The new name you want.
  3. Your gender.
  4. Your Social Security Number.
  5. Your date of birth.
  6. Your address.
  7. Other information that may be required by the court. We will let you know if there is additional information required.

Please bring proof of your current name (any form of ID such as a driver’s license, passport, birth certificate or social security card.)

You will also be asked to sign a sworn affidavit that states, among other things, that you do not choose to change your name for illegitimate or illegal purposes.

Please note: Petition Denials

By law, Petitions for Name Change are served on the district attorney in the parish in which you live.  If the district attorney believes you are requesting a name change for an illegitimate or illegal purpose, it is unlikely the court will allow you to change your name.  Caraway LeBlanc will not refund legal fees for work performed nor any filing fees paid should it be determined that you will not be able to have your name change because the district attorney objected to your petition.