4.9/5 star rated

Top Rated Name Change Louisiana Service

Based on 78 User Rating

Minor Name Change in West Baton Rouge

File Your Minor Child Name Change in West Baton Rouge

  • Review and Research of Minor Name Change Request.
  • Real Complete Paperwork (No Kit) Only $89.
Click To File Your Name Change

We Have Minor Name Change Filing Experts in West Baton Rouge County That Provide Reliable Minor Last Name Change, Minor Name Change To Father's And Mother's Name And Can Help You To File A Minor Name Change Case.

Minor name change refers to a legal process where a person can change their name without going through a formal court proceeding. A minor name change is typically used when a person wants to change their first or middle name, but not their last name. The process for a minor name change varies from state to state, but it usually involves filling out a petition or application form, submitting it to the appropriate government agency, and paying a fee. The applicant must provide a valid reason for the name change, such as marriage, divorce, or personal preference. Once the application is processed and approved, the applicant will receive a court order or certificate of Name Change Louisiana that can be used to update their identification documents, such as a driver's license, passport, and social security card. However, a Minor Name Change does not change a person's legal identity or erase their previous name from legal records. It simply allows the person to use a new name in their everyday life and on their identification documents.

Minor Name Change West Baton Rouge - LA

Who Can File A Minor Name Change Case in West Baton Rouge, LA?

As per the laws in West Baton Rouge, LA a minor's parent, managing conservator, or guardian has the authority to submit a petition for a name change of the child in the county where the child currently resides. the West Baton Rouge, LA Family Code $45.001. If the child is 10 years of age or older, the child must also sign the petition. If there is another parent who shares parental rights and responsibilities, they must be given notice of the Family Name Change and have the opportunity to contest it. In some cases, a court may also require consent from the other parent or proof that the other parent has been properly notified of the name change request.

What Are The Legal Requirements For Filing A Minor Name Change in West Baton Rouge, LA?

Legal Requirements For Filing A Minor Name Change Case in Louisiana

A parent or legal guardian of a minor in West Baton Rouge, LA can file a petition for the minor regarding a name change in the county where the child dwells. The petition must be verified and include the minor's current name and residence, the reason for the name change, the full name requested for the minor, and information about the jurisdiction of a court. Whether the minor is under the ongoing exclusive jurisdiction of a court is a relevant factor to consider when filing a Name Change Petition for a minor in West Baton Rouge, LA.

How Much Does It Cost To File A Child Name Change Case in West Baton Rouge, LA?

The cost to file a petition for a name change for a minor child in West Baton Rouge, LA varies by county, but generally, there is a filing fee that ranges from $200 to $300. Some courts may also charge additional fees for copies of documents or other services. It's important to check with the specific court in the county where you plan to file the petition to determine the exact filing fees and any other costs associated with the Name Change Process. In some cases, you may be able to request a waiver of the filing fees if you can demonstrate financial hardship. If you have a low income, you may be eligible to have the filing fee waived by filling out and submitting a Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs. For more information on court fees and fee waivers, please refer to the relevant resources.

Cost for Child Name Change Case in West Baton Rouge

Where I Can File A Minor Name Change Case in West Baton Rouge, LA?

To file a child name change case in West Baton Rouge, LA you will need to file a petition with the district court in the county where the child resides. You can contact the district clerk's office in the county to obtain the necessary Name Change Form and information about the filing process. The district court is the appropriate court for this type of case because it has jurisdiction over family law matters, including name changes for minors. It's important to make sure you file the petition in the correct county, as filing in the wrong county may result in delays or even dismissal of the case.

What is The Procedure Of Filing A Minor Name Change in West Baton Rouge, LA?

The Procedure to file a minor name change is as follows;

Petition Filing

To change your minor child's name in West Baton Rouge, LA the first step is to obtain the Petition for Name Change Louisiana from the District or Circuit Clerk of Court in your county. Carefully read the instructions and complete all sections of the form, except for the dates and signatures. You must verify your petition by signing it in the presence of a certified notary public, who may charge a small fee for their services. After you have signed the petition, file it with the court clerk in your county. The clerk will inform you of the Service and Notice procedures required in your county, as well as set a date for a hearing. You must fulfill any additional requirements before the hearing date.


Not all states require a state and federal criminal background check when changing the name of a Minor Child Name Change, but some jurisdictions may require it. If your state requires a criminal background check, you will need to have your fingerprints taken at an IdentoGo Center before appearing in court. The cost for this service is approximately $40, and you can locate a nearby IdentoGo Center online.

Serving of Petition and Citations

To serve the citations to each parent, managing conservator, or guardian who did not sign a verification there are three formal methods available in West Baton Rouge, LA:

Serving of Petition and Citations for Minor Name Change in Louisiana

Request a formal Process Server through the Sheriff or Constable's office, who will personally serve the individual. You cannot serve the document yourself, and there will be a fee to hire a Process Server. Once served, you will receive a verification of personal service. Send a copy of the citation by certified mail, and the individual being served must sign their name on the receipt. You must obtain a copy and fill out a verification of service by certified mail, attaching a copy of the certified receipt with the person's signature. Publish a copy of the citation in a local paper of general circulation if you cannot locate or identify the parent, managing conservator, or guardian. It is necessary for the citation to be published at least once.

Attend the Hearing

Before attending your hearing, make at least two copies of all paperwork for your records. If you obtained a fingerprint card, attach it to the petition before filing it with your local court clerk. You must also present the clerk with any required proof of notice and service. If both parents do not consent to change their minor child's name, notice will be required, which can delay the process by at least 15 days.

After all the necessary documents have been filed and a hearing date has been set, attend the hearing in person and appear before the judge. If the judge approves your request for Legal Name Change for your minor child, they will sign an Order. Note that in some states, you may be required to bring your minor child and/or their birth certificate to the hearing. Depending on your state's specific procedures, additional documentation, such as photo identification and security cards for one or both consenting parents may also be required.

Obtain A Certified Copy Of the Minor Name Change

To obtain a certified copy of your Minor Child's Name Change Order, file the signed Order with the court clerk. The clerk will issue you a certified copy of the Order, which you'll need to update your child's name on important documents such as their passport, driver's license, and Social Security card. The cost for each certified copy of the Order is typically around $10. It's recommended to obtain multiple copies, as you may need to provide them to different agencies to prove the legal name change of your minor child.

File the Signed Order with the Clerk

Once the judge has signed your Order Changing the Name of a Child, you should return to the clerk’s office and file the signed Order. It is important to note that your case is not considered final until you have done so. You will also need to obtain several certified copies of the order changing the Name of a child from the clerk. Each certified copy will require a small fee. These certified copies are necessary for changing your child’s name on important documents such as their Social Security Name Change, birth certificate, passport, and school records. Each agency will require a certified copy of the Order for their records. You should also keep a certified copy of the Order for your own records.

File the Signed Order in West Baton Rouge

Notify Agencies in West Baton Rouge, LA

It is your responsibility to inform the relevant agencies about your child's new name. To change your child's social security card, get in touch with your local social security office. If you need to modify your child's West Baton Rouge, LA birth certificate, reach out to the West Baton Rouge, LA Department of State Health Services, Vital Statistics Unit. You can find more information on birth certificate amendments and the application process on their website. If your child was born in a different state, contact the vital statistics office in that state of your child's passport, and contact your local passport office or Minor's Name Change If you want to modify your child's passport, get in touch with the passport office in your locality.

Frequently Asked Questions About Minor Name Change

Who can request to have a minor’s name changed in West Baton Rouge?

In the West Baton Rouge, generally, a minor's parent or legal guardian can request to have the minor's name changed. However, depending on the state, there may be additional requirements, such as obtaining the consent of both parents or providing a reason for the name change. Some states may also allow minor themselves to request a name change if they are over a certain age (usually 14 or 16) and can show that the name change is in their best interest. It is important to consult with an attorney or legal professional in your state to understand the specific requirements for a minor name change.

Will changing a minor's name in West Baton Rouge, LA affect their birth certificate?

Yes, changing a minor's name will typically require an amendment to their birth certificate. Once the name change has been approved by a court or other authorized agency, the parent or legal guardian will need to submit documentation to the appropriate vital records agency in their state to have the birth certificate updated. The specific process and requirements for updating a birth certificate may vary by state, so it is important to research the procedures in your state and ensure that you have all the necessary documentation and fees ready.

How long does the minor name change process in West Baton Rouge, LA take?

The length of time it takes to complete a minor name change process can vary depending on several factors, such as the state where you live and the court's caseload. In general, the process can take a few months to complete. The court will typically require that you file a petition, provide notice to any necessary parties, and attend a hearing. Once the court approves the name change, you will need to update your child's name on various legal documents, such as their birth certificate, social security card, and passport.

Can a minor name change be done without a court order in West Baton Rouge, LA?

It depends on the state and the circumstances. In some states, a minor name change can be done through an administrative process, such as through the Department of Vital Records or the Social Security Administration. However, in most cases, a court order is required to change a minor's name. The court will typically require a petition for a name change, which must be filed by a parent or legal guardian, along with other documents such as a birth certificate and proof of identity. It is recommended to consult with an attorney or legal professional in your state to determine the specific requirements for a minor name change.

Will a minor name change affect my child's Social Security number?

No, changing a minor's name will not automatically change their Social Security number. However, you may want to update your child's Social Security card to reflect their new name for consistency and to avoid any issues in the future. You can do this by filling out a Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Card) and submitting it to the Social Security Administration along with documentation that proves your child's identity and legal name change. Keep in mind that changing your child's name does not change their birth certificate, so you may need to update that separately if you wish to do so.

West Baton Rouge Map

Minor Name Change West Baton Rouge Video